Study and Discussion
In this critical moment in the book of Hebrews, the writer has been advocating for the believers to consider how Jesus was better and worth it all, and that faith in him should be unshakeable because he alone is unshakeable. In the same manner, we find ourselves in a critical moment and juncture as Christians in 2021. In a time when it feels as though God is once again shaking the nations, are we resting in the only thing that cannot be shaken? Just as with the first century Christians reading this text, we must come to a place where we are deeply burdened by our lives, and find our sole identity and worth in the person of Jesus, and consider him enough and better for us. It all starts though with how we view God.
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. – A.W. Tozer – Knowledge of the Holy
- What comes into your mind as you think, reflect, and ponder on God?
2. What do you see happening to a church when it surrenders its high view of God?
3. If you can think highly of God, how do you see the people of God or the Church of God thinking lowly of Him? What characteristics would you point out in this thought?
4. This text in Hebrews, calls us to view God by looking at Mt. Sinai and Mt. Zion. How does the text in Hebrews 12:18-24 compare these two images?
5. In this light, what are we calling people to today as a church? What image(s) are we using to describe God, the Christian life, and the church?
6. What does this say about our view and understanding of God?
Knowledge of the Holy – A.W. Tozer